Deposited Plan No. 11027A
St. Andrew's Road: Twelve Dwelling Houses and Shop
Details
| Deposited Plan Number: | 11027A |
| Date: | 7 October 1915 |
| Plans Register: | 1914-1916 |
| Street: | St. Andrew's Road |
| Property Name / Number: | no data |
| Area: | North |
| District: | Central Ward |
| Town: | Huddersfield |
| Grid Reference: | no data |
| Building Project: | Twelve Dwelling Houses and Shop |
| Type: | Residential - new build |
| Applicant: | British Dyes Ltd. / Read Holliday & Sons |
| Applicant Address: | no data |
| Architect: | Abbey & Hanson (Architects) [plans received C.S. Jones] |
| Architect Address: | 11, Cloth Hall Street, Huddersfield |
| Status of Project: | Approved |
| Contractor: | no data |
| Contractor Address: | no data |
| Work Commenced: | no data |
| Work Completed: | no data |
| Occupants: | no data |
| Subsequent Alterations / History: | no data |
| English Heritage Listing: | no data |
| Location of Archives: | Kirklees West Yorkshire Archives |
| Buildings of Huddersfield ID: | 2331 |
Additional Information
These amended plans (See also 11027 4 February 1915) are for a terrace of twelve houses with a shop to be erected at the junction of Lincoln Street and St Andt=rrew's Road adjacent to the new site of the Rock Mission. Built in stone, brick and slate, each property comprises :
Ground Floor - Living Room; Scullery, with a single-storey coal shed and larder projecting to the rear
First Floor - Two bedrooms; W.C.
Attic - One bed.
The shop occupies the prominent corner site.
The earlier plans provided for a terrace of ten dwellings with a shop on the same site. Thetwo additional houses were achieved by reducing the width of the rooms from 14 feet to 12feet 3 inches and alteratins to the staircase.
The additional propertise wouold have been required to house the Turnbridge workforce as production expandded.
Read Hollidays expanded production to meet wartime needs, gradually taking over most of the available land in and around St Andrew's Road. The company began on a site near the gasworks, where dyestuffs were extracted from waste coal tar products. With the outbreak of war in 1914,REad Hollidays converted the plant to the production of chemicals for explosives. During the Great War, in order to control supplies, British Dyes was established. This was later to become ICI. As the demand grew, all the available land on St Andrrew's Road was occupied by Hollidays or other manufacturers undertaking to supply the War Office. A new site was found further along Leeds Road, which allowed for long-term expansion, a site still occupied by chemical plant.