St. George's Square: Railway Station
|Deposited Plan Number:||no data|
|Date:||1846 - 50|
|Plans Register:||no data|
|Street:||St. George's Square|
|Property Name / Number:||Railway Station|
|Area:||Town Centre, HD1 1LG|
|Building Project:||Railway Station|
|Type:||Public / Transport|
|Applicant Address:||no data|
|Architect:||James Pigott Pritchett|
|Status of Project:||no data|
|Contractor Address:||no data|
|Work Commenced:||Foundation Stone Layed on (9 October 1946) by Earl Fitzwilliam|
|Occupants:||Huddersfield & Manchester Railway & Canal Company and Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Company|
|Subsequent Alterations / History:||Existing, Alterations & Additions (See details below), Grade 1 Listed (3 March 1952).|
|English Heritage Listing:||1277385 — listed on 3 March 1952 (old ID: 407013)|
|Location of Archives:||no data|
|Buildings of Huddersfield ID:||3628|
1846-50. Architect J P Pritchett of York. Sandstone ashlar. Pitched tile roof. 2-storey central block with one-storey wings. Central block has 11 bays, articulated by giant Composite pilastrade on high plinth, with full dentilled and modillioned entablature. Central 5 bays have free-standing pedimented portico, 2 bays deep, with clock in tympanum. Inside portico, central 3 bays break forward for one bay. Podium of 5 steps. Central double doors with 6 moulded panels. End elevations are 3 bays deep and take pediments. Wings have 9 bays each, fronted by open Composite colonnades, on 3-step podia and less high plinths: full entablature. 3rd bay on north side has doorway with moulded surround and cast iron gates of plain but elegant geometrical design.
Terminal blocks of 5 bays each, breaking forward one bay in front of colonnade, astylar but continuing the entablature of colonnade. Central 3 bays have free-standing portico, one bay deep, with no pediment but a solid panelled parapet in front and balustrades at sides. Elaborate scrolled consoles flank balustrades and 2 are placed above parapet flanking armorial badges inscribed "Huddersfield and Manchester Railway and Canal Company", at north end, and "Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company," at south end. South block is continued south by 4 more bays of wall with same entablature: 1st bay has double doors with moulded surround, next 3 have plain blind panels.
Detached block north of north terminal block 11 bays, first 3 have plain blind panels and full entablature, next 5 break back and have attic storey, last 3 also have attic and break back still further, and ground floor of these last 8 is masked by a rock-faced stone lean-to.
Platform elevation has, from north to south, as follows: one door with 6 moulded panels and fanlight, one sash with sunk and panelled apron, one door with fanlight, one sash with sunk and panelled apron, one door with 4 moulded panels and fanlight, one door with 6 moulded panels and fanlight, 2 sashes with sunk and panelled aprons, one door with 6 moulded panels and fanlight, one sash with sunk and panelled apron, 2 open passageways, one door with 6 moulded panels and fanlight, 2 sashes with sunk and panelled aprons, one door with 8 moulded panels and fanlight, 3 pairs of panelled doors in pilastered wooden frames with fanlights and side lights, 2 sashes with sunk and panelled aprons, 2 blocked doors with fanlights, one sash with sunk and panelled apron, one door with 6 moulded panels and fanlight, 3 sashes with sunk and panelled aprons, one modern door with fanlight, one sash with sunk and panelled apron, one door with 6 moulded panels and apron, one canted wooden bay with pilasters and full entablature, one sash with sunk and panelled apron, one door with 6 moulded panels and fanlight, one sash with sunk and panelled apron, one open passageway and one modern door. All windows are sashes with glazing bars, in plain surrounds on platform side, in moulded surrounds on street side; those to central block have cornices on ground floor, and pediments on 1st floor.
Parcels office has 2 and Booking Office one fluted cast iron Tuscan columns supporting ceiling. Tiled Art Deco ticket kiosk with bronze mullions and case racks.
Platforms are covered by one very wide and one other cast iron trusses with elaborate bosses at intersection of bracing members. Original supports have been replaced or reinforced, except for 2 on platform 4 which are columns with elaborately moulded bases and colectic capitals. Buffet and Waiting Room between platforms 4 and 8 is a separate match-boarded structure with panelled pilasters, each taking paired brackets and cornice. Steps down to underpass between platforms 4 and 8 have wooden handrails and cast iron balustrade with turned newels, both around stair well and dorm centre of steps. Massive stone paving slabs in underpass, and patent wooden non-slip steps down.
HISTORY: The grandeur of the station is the result of its being built at the joint expense of the Huddersfield and Manchester Railway and Canal Company (absorbed by the LNWR in July 1847) and the Manchester and Leeds Railway. The former built the line, and planned to extend it to Leeds via Dewsbury. The latter, having failed to win this concession, needed running rights to connect their main line at Cooper Bridge with their subsidiary from Springwood Junction to Sheffield.
The foundation stone was laid by Josh Fitzwilliam, the Lord Lieutenant, on 9 October 1846, when a public holiday was declared and church bells were rung from dawn till dusk. It was partly opened for the commencement of services in August 1847, but not completed until October 1850. It had only one platform until October 1886, when the roof over the tracks, which had been begun in 1878, but had collapsed in course of construction in August 1885 (killing 4 men), was finally completed. The central part housed elaborate refreshment rooms which functioned until at least 1883.
[Extract from the Historic England web site, list entry number 1277385]
RAILINGS TO STATION YARD also listed Grade II. Cast iron, Stone plinth, Elaborate pattern, Presumably 1846-50. (1232086)
|Record||Distance (feet & meters)|
|St. George's Square: New W.C.'s (1870) - plan# 105||93ft||28m|
|Goods Yard, off New North Parade: Large Warehouse (1878)||258ft||79m|
|Railway Street: No 13 - 21||324ft||99m|
|St. George's Square: No 7||325ft||99m|