Church Lane: Church of The Holy Trinity
|Deposited Plan Number:||no data|
|Date:||1827 - 30|
|Plans Register:||no data|
|Property Name / Number:||Church or The Holy Trinity|
|Building Project:||Church of The Holy Trinity|
|Applicant Address:||no data|
|Architect:||Peter Atkinson Jnr.|
|Architect Address:||no data|
|Status of Project:||no data|
|Contractor Address:||no data|
|Subsequent Alterations / History:||Existing, Grade II Listed (29 September 1978)|
|English Heritage Listing:||1313827 — listed on 29 September 1978 (old ID: 339675)|
|Location of Archives:||no data|
|Buildings of Huddersfield ID:||3995|
Church. 1827-30 in a very plain lancet style to the designs of Peter Atkinson Junior, chancel said to be later (information from the churchwarden), perhaps c. mid C19. Ashlar masonry with slate roofs, the slates laid in diminishing courses. Plan of W tower, galleried nave with S doorway and chancel with NE vestry.
EXTERIOR: The chancel has set-back buttresses and a triple lancet E window in an arched recess. The S side of the chancel has a blind lancet window. Nave of 5 narrow bays with pilaster buttresses and tall lancet windows without hoodmoulds. Steeply-gabled S porch with a chamfered doorway and 2-leaf door with Gothick panelling, a brattished crest and glazed overlight. The tower has clasping pilaster buttresses and large square-section pinnacles with pyramidal caps. The belfry windows are paired lancets with hoodmoulds. The tower has a tall W lancet and a half-glazed lean-to on the S side. 2002 NW extension.
INTERIOR:The nave is galleried on 3 sides. Chancel arch with octagonal responds with moulded capitals. The 3-sided galleries are supported on octagonal piers and plain cross beams. Gothick panelled gallery front with cusped blind arches and a probably later dwarf balustrade. Tie beam and queen post roof to the nave with arched braces and braces from queen posts to collar. The 2-bay chancel roof is an elegant arch braced design with no collar, the braces springing from wall shafts. The chancel has a panelled dado and integral timber panelled reredos with a cornice and vine trail, with a memorial date of 1910. c. late C19 choir stalls with multifoil profile. Font with memorial date of 1887 has an octagonal bowl on a base of 4 pink granite polished shafts' 1950s font cover. The area under the W gallery is glazed off. The nave has a dado of vertical boards with a brattished cornice. Nave and gallery benches have multifoil ends and backs with fielded panels. A plaque records that the gallery was reseated in 1898. Stairs to the gallery are probably late C19 with stick balusters with stout turned newel posts with ball finials. The space under the tower was originally the baptistery and has a dado of blind Gothick panelling. The Creed, Lord's Prayer and Ten Commandments in frames are kept in the gallery.
A 2-phase lancet style church with a severely plain exterior but preserving all three galleries although chancel and other fittings mid/late C19.
Sources Pevsner, Yorkshire: The West Riding, 1967 edn., 491.
[Extract from the Historic England web site, list entry number 1313827]