Deposited Plan No. 1076
Greenhead Road: Villa Residence, stable, boundary walls, etc
|Deposited Plan Number:||1076|
|Date:||13 April 1882|
|Property Name / Number:||Craigmohn|
|Building Project:||Villa Residence, stable, boundary walls, etc|
|Type:||Residential - new build|
|Applicant Address:||Fenay Lodge, Almondbury|
|Architect:||John Kirk & Sons [Frederic Kirk signed for receipt of the approved plans]|
|Architect Address:||John William Street,Huddersfield & Dewsbury.|
|Status of Project:|
Approved subject to the chambermaid's closets and W.C. being ventilated above roof and to the drains being trapped.
|Contractor Address:||no data|
|Work Commenced:||no data|
|Work Completed:||no data|
|Subsequent Alterations / History:||An extension to the north was added in 1913. The house became Wentworth School.|
|English Heritage Listing:||no data|
|Location of Archives:||Kirklees West Yorkshire Archives|
|Buildings of Huddersfield ID:||1077|
One of a number of detached villas built following the acquisition of Greenhead Park by Huddersfield Corporation. Built for George Kirk, ironfounder, and partner in the firm of Schofield & Kirk of Rashcliffe Ironworks. Two principal storeys with attic and basement. Pitch faced stone with ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roofs with heavy moulded eaves, cornice on console brackets. From the entrance in Greenhead Road, which is marked by four contemporary square ashlar gatepiers with elaborately carved tops and iron gates, a drive sweeps up to the main entrance on the east front. The six panel door with etched glass and semi-circular fanlight is framed by a carved surround, spandrels and keystone with the initials G.K. Large consoles support a balustrade over the door with urns to left and right. The original drawings show a more elaborated treatment of this part of the entrance front.
To the right is a two storey canted bay lighting the Breakfast Room on the Ground Floor with the Nursery above. Beyond id the 1913 extension comprising double arched porte-cochère with eight light mullioned and transformed oriel bow window on the first floor. The Chamber Plan includes these later additions, which were subsequently to accommodate the School Library, Sixth Form Room and Head Teacher's Room.
The three bay south (garden) front has a two storey canted bay to the left, matching that on the entrance front. To the right are a French window and a sash window, both pedimented. On the first floor, the two sashes have architrave surrounds.
A stone terrace and stone balustrade frame the entrance and garden fronts.
The accommodation comprises :
- Basement - Wash Kitchen; Wine Cellar; Coals; Larder.
- Ground Floor - Breakfast Room; Vestibule; Hall; Drawing Room; Dining Room; Butler's Pantry; Kitchen.
- Chamber - Owner's Bedroom; Dressing Room; Day Nursery; Housemaid's Closet; Bedroom; Bathroom; Visitor's Bedroom.
- Attic - Two attics; box room.
According to the English Heritage Listings, the interiors have many original features. These include a mosaic floor in the vestibule; tiled marbled floors in the entrance hall, which also retains an elaborate plaster cornice and embossed frieze, a fireplace with tiled surround, wooden staircase with turned balusters and a panelled dado. The former Dining Room has an embossed frieze and ornate plaster cornice and centre piece, with gas-light fittings, fitted bookshelves and show case and ornate carved wooden fire surround with a large mirror. Carved screen in the bay window. It is suggested that the panelled dado may date from 1913. A carved screen on the landing has two oval and four round lights with painted glass, which forms the entrance to the 1913 Billiard Room (later to become the School Library?), which has oak panelling, stone arched fireplace, an ornate plaster ceiling with centre light. The was room has pump action W.C.s, a twin marble basins. In the servants' quarters are fitted cupboards, copper-lined and stone sinks and twelve bell rings. Listed as a good and complete example of its type.
At the Same Location?
|Record||Distance (feet & meters)|
|Greenhead Road: Wentworth School (1882)||0ft||0m|
|Record||Distance (feet & meters)|
|Greenhead Lane: Villa Residence (1869) - plan# 69||114ft||35m|