Greenhead Road: Wentworth School


Deposited Plan Number:no data
Plans Register:no data
Street:Greenhead Road
Property Name / Number:No 30, Wentworth School
Area:HD1 4EZ
Grid Reference:SE1359416678
Building Project:Wentworth School
Type:Education / School
Applicant:George Kirk (Iron Founder)
Applicant Address:no data
Architect:no data
Architect Address:no data
Status of Project:no data
Contractor:no data
Contractor Address:no data
Work Commenced:no data
Work Completed:no data
Occupants:no data
Subsequent Alterations / History:Existing, 1913 Addition (see below), Grade II Listed (10 June 1983)
English Heritage Listing:1065918 — listed on 10 June 1983 (old ID: 422603)
Location of Archives:no data
Buildings of Huddersfield ID:3984

Additional Information

Large detached house. 1882 or 3 for George Kirk, iron founder, with 1913 addition.

Pitch faced stone with ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roofs with heavy moulded eaves, cornice on console brackets. 2 storeys. Entrance front has 6-panel door with etched glass and semi-circular fanlight. Carved surround, spandrels and keystone, and initials

G K. Large consoles support balustrade over with urn to left and right. To right is 2-storey canted bay. Beyond this is 1913 addition comprising double arched porte-cochere with

8-light mullioned and transomed oriel bow window to first floor, with good carved ashlar work to base. The 3-bay garden front has 2-storey canted bay to left, as before, and French window and sash to right, both pedimented. Two sashes to first floor with architrave surround and small cornice on console brackets. Stone terrace and stone balustrade to entrance and garden fronts. Interior is virtually original and intact.

Vestibule has mosaic floor. Entrance hall has tiled marble floor and elaborate plaster cornice and embossed frieze, fireplace with tiled surround, wooden staircase with turned balusters and panelled dado. The former dining room has embossed frieze and ornate plaster cornice and centre piece, with gas-light fittings, fitted bookshelves and show case and ornate carved wooden fire surround with large mirror. Carved screen in bay window. Panelled dado may be contemporary with 1913 work. Carved screen on landing with 2 oval and 4 round lights with painted glass, forms entrance to 1913 billiard hall, with oak panelling, stone arched fireplace and ornate plaster ceiling with centre light. Washroom has pump action WCs and twin marble basin. In servants quarters are fitted cupboards, copper lined and stone sinks and 12 bell rings. Listed as good and complete example of its type.

(Extract from English Heritage listed buildings service, record number 422603)


Online maps: National Library of Scotland Historic Maps | Old Maps UK | Google | Google Street View | Bing
The red marker indicates the location of this record. Green and yellow dots are locations of other geotagged records, where yellow means the building was subsequently demolished.

At the Same Location?

The following records are located within 10 meters:
RecordDistance (feet & meters)
Greenhead Road: Villa Residence, stable, boundary walls, etc (1882) - plan# 10760ft0m

What's Nearby?

The following records are located within 100 meters:
RecordDistance (feet & meters)
Greenhead Lane: Villa Residence (1869) - plan# 69114ft35m