Deposited Plan No. 10981
Turnbridge Works, St. Andrew's Road: Boiler House
Details
| Deposited Plan Number: | 10981 |
| Date: | 3 December 1914 |
| Plans Register: | 1914-1916 |
| Street: | Turnbridge Works, St. Andrew's Road |
| Property Name / Number: | no data |
| Area: | no data |
| District: | Central Ward |
| Town: | Huddersfield |
| Grid Reference: | no data |
| Building Project: | Boiler House |
| Type: | Industrial - additions & alterations |
| Applicant: | Read Holliday Sons |
| Applicant Address: | no data |
| Architect: | Abbey & Hanson (Architects) [plans received P. Tinsdeall] |
| Architect Address: | 11, Cloth Hall Street, Huddersfield |
| Status of Project: | Approved |
| Contractor: | no data |
| Contractor Address: | no data |
| Work Commenced: | no data |
| Work Completed: | no data |
| Occupants: | no data |
| Subsequent Alterations / History: | no data |
| English Heritage Listing: | no data |
| Location of Archives: | Kirklees West Yorkshire Archives |
| Buildings of Huddersfield ID: | 2309 |
Additional Information
The plans provide for the erection of a single storey brick building, with steel frame, slate roof with patent glazed panels, supported on cast iron columns. The 80 feet x 75 feet building houses six horizontal boilers and economisers, linked to a flue and chimney at the very heart of the Turnbridge Plant. Nearby are the Sulphuric Shed; Aniline Shed; Oxide Shed and Naptha Shed, as well as Magnall's Laboratory.AS the plant grew in size, additonal power was required to undertake the great variety of chemical processes at the plant.Read Hollidays expanded production to meet wartime needs, gradually taking over most of the available land in and around St Andrew's Road. The company began on a site near the gasworks, where dyestuffs were extracted from waste coal tar products. With the outbreak of war in 1914,REad Hollidays converted the plant to the production of chemicals for explosives. During the Great War, in order to control supplies, British Dyes was established. This was later to become ICI. As the demand grew, all the available land on St Andrrew's Road was occupied by Hollidays or other manufacturers undertaking to supply the War Office. A new site was found further along Leeds Road, which allowed for long-term expansion, a site still occupied by chemical plant.