Deposited Plan No. 11011

St. Andrew's Road: Removal of "Rock Mission Church" to a new site and the construction of new Wash Kitchen and W.Cs

Details

Deposited Plan Number:11011
Date:7 January 1915
Plans Register:1914-1916
Street:St. Andrew's Road
Property Name / Number:Rock Mission
Area:no data
District:Central Ward
Town:Huddersfield
Grid Reference:no data
Building Project:Removal of "Rock Mission Church" to a new site and the construction of new Wash Kitchen and W.Cs
Type:Church - additions & alterations
Applicant:Read Holliday Sons
Applicant Address:no data
Architect:Abbey & Hanson (Architects) [plans received C.S. Jones]
Architect Address:11, Cloth Hall Street, Huddersfield
Status of Project:
Approved
Contractor:no data
Contractor Address:no data
Work Commenced:no data
Work Completed:no data
Occupants:no data
Subsequent Alterations / History:Demolished
English Heritage Listing:no data
Location of Archives:Kirklees West Yorkshire Archives
Buildings of Huddersfield ID:2310

Additional Information

The removal of the Rock Mission, one of the 'missionary' chapels of the Queen Street Methodist Church, wsa originally sited in Aspley 's RoadMills Road and served the large population of Turnbridge. The new site for the 'tin tabernacle' was on the east side of St Andrew's Road, opposite the entrance to Daisy Street. The re-siting of the building allowed for the provison of improved sanitary accommodation at the mission. The re-location allowed the former site to be re-developed and allow for further expansion of the Turnbridge PLant. The Annual Reposrts of the Queen Street Mission contain further information about the Rock Mission. Read Hollidays expanded production to meet wartime needs, gradually taking over most of the available land in and around St Andrew's Road. The company began on a site near the gasworks, where dyestuffs were extracted from waste coal tar products. With the outbreak of war in 1914,REad Hollidays converted the plant to the production of chemicals for explosives. During the Great War, in order to control supplies, British Dyes was established. This was later to become ICI. As the demand grew, all the available land on St Andrrew's Road was occupied by Hollidays or other manufacturers undertaking to supply the War Office. A new site was found further along Leeds Road, which allowed for long-term expansion, a site still occupied by chemical plant.