Deposited Plan No. 1156

St. John's Road & Fitzwilliam Street: Alterations to Livery Stables


Deposited Plan Number:1156
Date:14 December 1882
Plans Register:no data
Street:St. John's Road & Fitzwilliam Street
Property Name / Number:(Late) Coney's Livery Stables
Area:no data
District:Central Ward
Grid Reference:no data
Building Project:Alterations to Livery Stables
Type:Commercial - additions & alterations
Applicant:William Eastwood Jowitt
Applicant Address:47, West Parade, Huddersfield
Architect:no data
Architect Address:no data
Status of Project:
Approved subject to W.C. being drained satisfactorily.
Contractor:no data
Contractor Address:no data
Work Commenced:no data
Work Completed:no data
Occupants:no data
Subsequent Alterations / History:Demolished
English Heritage Listing:no data
Location of Archives:West Yorkshire Archive Service (Kirklees).
Buildings of Huddersfield ID:3547


Additional Information

See Deposited Plan 1147 (12 October 1882). The proposed alterations include opening an entrance to the stables from St John's Road,through a range of buildings which form part of the livery stables. The new entrance cuts through at ground floor level from St John's Road and can be closed by a shutter. The entrance is marked by a rised pediment above the chamber floor of the range of buildings. The reat of the building range is at a lower level than the St John's Road entrance requiring the provision of a ramp, making minor alterations to the layout of the stables,providing an office and a W.C. near the new entrance. It appears that the Fitwilliam Street entrance with its weighbridge was maintained. The business had been acquired by Mr Jowitt from Thomas Worts Coney, who advertised in the 1879 Huddersfield & District Directory.