Queensgate: Mechanics institution and Technical College

Details

Deposited Plan Number:no data
Date:1881- 4
Plans Register:no data
Street:Queensgate
Property Name / Number:Ramsden Building (former Huddersfield Technical College)
Area:HD1 2RD
District:Kirklees
Town:Huddersfield
Grid Reference:SE1464216282
Building Project:Mechanics institution and Technical College
Type:College / Education
Applicant:no data
Applicant Address:no data
Architect:Edward Hughes
Architect Address:no data
Status of Project:no data
Contractor:no data
Contractor Address:no data
Work Commenced:1881
Work Completed:1884
Occupants:no data
Subsequent Alterations / History:Existing, Grade II Listed (29 September 1978), Now part of the University of Huddersfield campus
English Heritage Listing:1277501 — listed on 29 September 1978 (old ID: 406611)
Location of Archives:no data
Buildings of Huddersfield ID:3903

Additional Information

1881-4. Architect E Hughes. Hammer dressed stone. Ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roof. 3 storeys. Bracketed eaves cornice. Openwork parapet. Strings.

Continuous sill bands. 9 ranges of casements in moulded surrounds with transoms, the first, the 5th and 9th also with mullions. The 3rd and the 7th ranges are full height bays, oblong at ground floor, canted above, and surmounted by moulded foliage cornices and hipped roofs with tall iron finials: above the ground floor arc sculpted lions holding shields: the 2nd floor windows have 2 transoms and the upper lights are filled with cusped reticulated tracery.

At 2nd floor level 4 octagonal tourelles are corbelled out on moulded squinches and end above eaves level in gabled tops with short octagonal spires. Between centre 2 is a gable with traceried panelling, and pointed arched window with hoodmould, 2 transoms and cusped reticulated tracery. Planked doors in shouldered arch, fanlight with 4 trefoiled lancets in moulded frame, with colonettes and hoodmould. This is set in a porch which breaks forward slightly, has diagonal buttresses, colonettes, bracketed eaves cornice and openwork balustrade with finials on the end piers. Roof has 4 triangular lucarnes, 2 tall ornamental iron finials, and some simple cresint. Octagonal lantern with open pointed arcade, gables to each side, tiled fl├Ęche, and tall ornamental iron finial.

Panel above north canted bay inscribed "This memorial stone was laid by the

Master of the Worshipful Company of Clothworkers of the City of London, (Rev

Alfred Child, MA) assisted by members of the Court, on Wednesday October 17th,

1881".

(Extract from English Heritage listed buildings service, record number 406611) http://lbonline.english-heritage.org.uk/BuildingDetailsForm.aspx?id=406611&search=y

Location

Online maps: National Library of Scotland Historic Maps | Old Maps UK | Google | Google Street View | Bing
The red marker indicates the location of this record. Green and yellow dots are locations of other geotagged records, where yellow means the building was subsequently demolished.

What's Nearby?

The following records are located within 100 meters:
RecordDistance (feet & meters)
Queen Street South / St. Paul's Street: Exhibition Buildings and Weaving Shed for Technical School (1883) - plan# 1177 100ft30m
Queensgate: Milton Congregational Church147ft45m
St. Paul's Street & Rifle Street: St Paul's Drill Hall (1899) - plan# 478186ft57m
Queen Street South / Princess Street: New Rug Warehouse and Offices (1898) - plan# 198243ft74m
Queensgate: St. Paul's Church (1829)313ft95m
Queen Street South / Ramsden Street: Restoration to St. Paul's Church Including New Chancel, Porches and Vestry (1883) - plan# 1208327ft100m