Queensgate: Milton Congregational Church


Deposited Plan Number:no data
Date:Mid or Late 19th Century
Plans Register:no data
Property Name / Number:Milton Congregational Church
Area:HD1 2RD
Grid Reference:SE1461516246
Building Project:Milton Congregational Church
Applicant:no data
Applicant Address:no data
Architect:no data
Architect Address:no data
Status of Project:no data
Contractor:no data
Contractor Address:no data
Work Commenced:no data
Work Completed:no data
Occupants:no data
Subsequent Alterations / History:Existing, Grade II Listed (29 September 1978)
English Heritage Listing:1231472 — listed on 29 September 1978 (old ID: 406613)
Location of Archives:no data
Buildings of Huddersfield ID:3904

Additional Information

Mid or late C19. Hammer dressed stone. Ashlar dressings. Pitched slate roof.

Rave and aisles. Transepts. North-west tower. West front has 2 octagonal turrets with pyramidal roofs, coped gable, cruciform finial and 2-light window with reticulated tracery in gable end. 3 principal 2-centred arched windows

(flanked by square, blind-traceried panels). Centre window 3-light, with cusped bar tracery and 3 inscribed sexfoils: pointed hoodmould and 2 crocheted pinnacles applied either side. Flanking windows 2-light with cusped bar tracery and one inscribed trefoil each. Portal has planked double doors with elaborate iron hinges in pointed arch with 3 orders of colonettes with foliate capitals and moulded voussoirs, central order a band of foliage. Pointed and crocheted gable over, flanked by busts of angels in high relief. Blind pointed and cusped arcade either side. Low extension to south with steep pitched hipped roof, low parapet, and 4 small ogee lights. Planked door on south side, with ornamental iron hinges and shouldered surround with one order of foliage moulding. 5-storey tower with 2 strings, eaves cornice and parapet. Stir tower in north-east corner rises above parapet: octagonal pyramid roof. Top stage has massive pointed arched bell openings, with 3-lights per side: each light cusped, with top parts blind, and reticulated drop tracery below. Various single-lights and 2-centred arched door on north side with ornamental iron hinges, moulded voussoirs (including one roll of foliage moulding) and hoodmould. 4-bay nave: clerestory windows 3-light with reticulated bar tracery. Aisles very low with small cusped lancets. Transept terminals have 2 windows, each with 3 lights and geometrical bar tracery, oculus with the same, and tiny 2-light window in gable.

(Extract from English Heritage listed buildings service, record number 406613) http://lbonline.english-heritage.org.uk/BuildingDetailsForm.aspx?id=406613&search=y


Online maps: National Library of Scotland Historic Maps | Old Maps UK | Google | Google Street View | Bing
The red marker indicates the location of this record. Green and yellow dots are locations of other geotagged records, where yellow means the building was subsequently demolished.

What's Nearby?

The following records are located within 100 meters:
RecordDistance (feet & meters)
Queensgate: Mechanics institution and Technical College (1881)147ft45m
Queen Street South / St. Paul's Street: Exhibition Buildings and Weaving Shed for Technical School (1883) - plan# 1177 196ft60m
St. Paul's Street & Rifle Street: St Paul's Drill Hall (1899) - plan# 478214ft65m
Queen Street South / Princess Street: New Rug Warehouse and Offices (1898) - plan# 198230ft70m
Queen Street South: Amenities Block (1954) - plan# 40481258ft79m