St. Peter's Street: Department of Social Services

Details

Deposited Plan Number:no data
Date:Early 19th Century
Plans Register:no data
Street:St. Peter's Street
Property Name / Number:Kirklees District Department of Social Services
Area:Town Centre, HD1 1RA
District:Kirklees
Town:Huddersfield
Grid Reference:SE1451116847
Building Project:Department of Social Services
Type:Civic
Applicant:no data
Applicant Address:no data
Architect:no data
Architect Address:no data
Status of Project:no data
Contractor:no data
Contractor Address:no data
Work Commenced:no data
Work Completed:no data
Occupants:no data
Subsequent Alterations / History:Existing, Building Facade was origionaly that of the George Inn located on the market place but re-erected hear after the George was demolished, Grade II Listed (29 September 1978)
English Heritage Listing:1275295 — listed on 29 September 1978 (old ID: 412936)
Location of Archives:no data
Buildings of Huddersfield ID:3913

Additional Information

Early C19. Ashlar. 3 storeys. Modillion eaves cornice and blocking course.

7 ranges of sashes, of which centre 3 break forward slightly and are crowned by pediment with oval oculus in tympana. Canted corner to Wood Street. Raised quoins. Blind arcading with moulded voussoirs and continuous moulded impost band to ground floor of central 3 bays. Tuscan pilastrade with full entablature to ground floor on either side of these bays. Plain band above 1st floor.

3 central 1st floor windows have moulded surrounds and cornices. Door is modern, but in original opening, with lightly vermiculated jambs and voussoirs, square channelled. Other elevations plain hammer dressed stone, except on ground floor of Byron Street side where the pilastrade continues, alternating with stretches of blind wall, horizontally rusticated and ending with one round-arched sash.

History formerly the George Inn, and originally standing on north side of the

Market Place, it was taken down by Sir joJohn William Ramsden, 5th Bart, in

1850, to make way for John William Street, and re-erected here. As an inn it was replaced by the George Hotel.

(Extract from English Heritage listed buildings service, record number 412936) http://lbonline.english-heritage.org.uk/BuildingDetailsForm.aspx?id=412936&search=y

Location

Online maps: National Library of Scotland Historic Maps | Old Maps UK | Google | Google Street View | Bing
The red marker indicates the location of this record. Green and yellow dots are locations of other geotagged records, where yellow means the building was subsequently demolished.

What's Nearby?

The following records are located within 100 meters:
RecordDistance (feet & meters)
St. Peter's Street: Revenue Chambers 11 and 1378ft24m
John William Street: No 22-3492ft28m
John William Street: Lion Buildings (1853) 174ft53m
Byram Street: No 13 to 18 (consec)194ft59m
John William Street: No 17 - 37236ft72m
Northumberland Street: Crescent Hotel241ft73m
St. Peter's Street, Fairground: Circus (1869) - plan# 72243ft74m
St. George's Square: Britannia Buildings (1856) 262ft80m
Byram Street: No 4268ft82m
Northumberland Street: New Post Office Building (1914) (1914)288ft88m
Station Street: Station Street Buildings 12306ft93m
John William Street: No 11 - 15311ft95m
Northumberland Street: No 1 and 3320ft97m