East Entrance to Gledholt Tunnel

Details

Deposited Plan Number:no data
Date:1845-9
Plans Register:no data
Street:no data
Property Name / Number:Gledholt Tunnel East Entrance
Area:Gledholt
District:Kirklees
Town:Huddersfield
Grid Reference:SE1366216350
Building Project:East Entrance to Gledholt Tunnel
Type:Transport
Applicant:no data
Applicant Address:no data
Architect:no data
Architect Address:no data
Status of Project:no data
Contractor:Thomas Nicholson [?]
Contractor Address:no data
Work Commenced:1845
Work Completed:1849
Occupants:no data
Subsequent Alterations / History:Existing, Grade II Listed (29 September 1978)
English Heritage Listing:1220138 — listed on 29 September 1978 (old ID: 339453)
Location of Archives:no data
Buildings of Huddersfield ID:3989

Additional Information

1845-9. The contractor may have been Thomas Nicholson, who was employed by the company to build Stonedge Tunnel. Rock-faced rustication. Roll-moulded ashlar coping. 2 staggered semi-circular arches with plain roll-moulded surrounds, no imposts. This part of the line was opened on 1 August 1849.

(Extract from English Heritage listed buildings service, record number 339453) http://lbonline.english-heritage.org.uk/BuildingDetailsForm.aspx?id=339453&search=y

Location

Online maps: National Library of Scotland Historic Maps | Old Maps UK | Google | Google Street View | Bing
The red marker indicates the location of this record. Green and yellow dots are locations of other geotagged records, where yellow means the building was subsequently demolished.

What's Nearby?

The following records are located within 100 meters:
RecordDistance (feet & meters)
Woodthorpe Terrace: No 14 and 15217ft66m
Bankfield Road: Two Privies and Ashes Place (1889) - plan# 1892298ft91m
Woodthorpe Terrace: Spring Lodge 27318ft97m