West Entrance to Gledholt Tunnel

Details

Deposited Plan Number:no data
Date:1845-9
Plans Register:no data
Street:no data
Property Name / Number:Gledholt Tunnel West Entrance
Area:Gledholt
District:Kirklees
Town:Huddersfield
Grid Reference:SE1343816351
Building Project:West Entrance to Gledholt Tunnel
Type:Transport
Applicant:no data
Applicant Address:no data
Architect:no data
Architect Address:no data
Status of Project:no data
Contractor:Thomas Nicholson [?]
Contractor Address:no data
Work Commenced:1845
Work Completed:1849
Occupants:no data
Subsequent Alterations / History:Existing, Grade II Listed (29 September 1978)
English Heritage Listing:1134436 — listed on 29 September 1978 (old ID: 339454)
Location of Archives:no data
Buildings of Huddersfield ID:3990

Additional Information

1845-9. The contractor may have been Thomas Nicholson, who was employed by the company to build Stanedge Tunnel. Rock-faced rustication. Moulded ashlar cornice and blocking course with 3 acroteria. 2 round-arched tunnel entrances with tapering buttresses. This part of the line was opened on 1 August 1849.

(Extract from English Heritage listed buildings service, record number 339454) http://lbonline.english-heritage.org.uk/BuildingDetailsForm.aspx?id=339454&search=y

Location

Online maps: National Library of Scotland Historic Maps | Old Maps UK | Google | Google Street View | Bing
The red marker indicates the location of this record. Green and yellow dots are locations of other geotagged records, where yellow means the building was subsequently demolished.