St. John's Road: Church of St. John

Details

Deposited Plan Number:no data
Date:1851 (Foundation stone laid)
Plans Register:no data
Street:St. John's Road
Property Name / Number:Church of St John
Area:Bay Hall
District:Kirklees
Town:Huddersfield
Grid Reference:SE1410217729
Building Project:Church of St. John
Type:Church
Applicant:Commissioned by Sir John William Ramsden
Applicant Address:no data
Architect:William Butterfield
Architect Address:no data
Status of Project:no data
Contractor:no data
Contractor Address:no data
Work Commenced:no data
Work Completed:no data
Occupants:no data
Subsequent Alterations / History:Existing, Consecrated 1853, Grade II* Listed (3 March 1952)
English Heritage Listing:1217625 — listed on 3 March 1952 (old ID: 407031)
Location of Archives:no data
Buildings of Huddersfield ID:4015

Additional Information

Foundation stone laid 1851 by Sir John William Ramsden, 5th Bart, who built the church in memory of his father. Consecrated 1853. Architect: William Butterfield. Ashlar. Steep-pitched slate roofs. Coped gables. Lean-to aisle roofs, parapeted. Buttresses. 5 bay nave, with tiny oculi to clerestory. Chancel. South-west and north-west porches. Fine Geometrical tracery, especially at east and west ends. 4-stage tower in south-east corner, with imposing traceried bell-openings, openwork parapet, and octagonal corner pinnacles. Octagonal spire with 3 stages of gabled lucarnes, crocketed finial and weathervane. Interior Collar-braced roof, with lower struts inclined slightly inwards. Ashlar font and pulpit of massive, elemental forms. Characteristically simple wooden furnishings, the bench ends giving illusion of being slightly tilted.

[Extract from the Historic England web site, list entry number 1217625]

WALL AROUND CHURCH OF ST JOHN also Listed Grade II (1277388): "1851-3. Dwarf stone wall with simple iron railings."

Location

Online maps: National Library of Scotland Historic Maps | Old Maps UK | Google | Google Street View | Bing
The red marker indicates the location of this record. Green and yellow dots are locations of other geotagged records, where yellow means the building was subsequently demolished.

Comments