Queensgate: Riding School

Details

Deposited Plan Number:no data
Date:1818(?)
Plans Register:no data
Street:Queensgate
Property Name / Number:Old Riding School, Hippodrome, (Che Bar 2010)
Area:Town Centre, HD1 2RB
District:Kirklees
Town:Huddersfield
Grid Reference:SE 1467 1643
Building Project:Riding School
Type:Public
Applicant:no data
Applicant Address:no data
Architect:W. Cooper [converted to a theater by]
Architect Address:no data
Status of Project:no data
Contractor:no data
Contractor Address:no data
Work Commenced:no data
Work Completed:no data
Occupants:West Yorkshire Yeomanry Cavalry
Subsequent Alterations / History:Existing, extensive alterations including full metal cladding to front facade (see below)
English Heritage Listing:no data
Location of Archives:no data
Buildings of Huddersfield ID:4021

Additional Information

The Riding School was the first building in Huddersfield to be built in the Italianate Palazzo style. It features a tall Central arched entrance with Bas-reliefs of rearing Horses to either side. The building was originally used by the West Yorkshire Yeomanry Cavalry, According to the Huddersfield One website, the Riding School was first opened to the public for entertainment in 1848 when it hosted Batty's Circus, then became the Theatre Royal between 1848 and 1862 at which point it was sold the West Yorkshire Rifle Volunteers for use as a drill hall when they were formed in the 1860s and was used as such until the St Paul's Drill Hall was built on St Paul's Street in 1901.

The building became the Hippodrome Theatre in 1905 to designs by architect W. Cooper, when this happened additional floors were added to the building almost doubling its height. After a serious fire in the 1960s the theatre was converted into a cinema. at some point the entire front elevation of the building was also covered in slate cladding obscuring the original facade, this is probably the reason why this building was not listed along with the later Zetland hotel next-door. More recently the additional floors and cladding have been removed and the structure restored to near original state). since then the building has been Livingstone's bar and most recently Che Bar (2010) now closed as of (2011).

Sources of information:

Approximate Location

Online maps: National Library of Scotland Historic Maps | Old Maps UK | Google | Google Street View | Bing
The red marker indicates the approximate location of this record. Green and yellow dots are locations of other geotagged records, where yellow means the building was subsequently demolished.

What's Nearby?

The following records are located within 100 meters:
RecordDistance (feet & meters)
Ramsden Street: Alterations to The Armory, including new windows and stair cases (1892) - plan# 223733ft10m
Queensgate: The Zetland Hotel (1847)82ft25m
Queen Street: No 32101ft31m
Queen Street: No 30110ft34m
Ramsden Street: House etc. (1875) - plan# 401131ft40m
Queen Street: No 26145ft44m
Queen Street: No 28160ft49m
Queen Street: No 24160ft49m
Queen Street South / Ramsden Street: Restoration to St. Paul's Church Including New Chancel, Porches and Vestry (1883) - plan# 1208167ft51m
Queen Street: No 22172ft52m
Queensgate: St. Paul's Church (1829)184ft56m
Zetland Street: Workshops (1880) - plan# 909185ft56m
Queen Street: No 20194ft59m
Queensgate: The College Arms Public House196ft60m
Ramsden Street / Queen Street: Proposed new studio and photo gallery (1874) - plan# 373196ft60m
Ramsden Street: New Shed for Storing Arms and Equipment (1893) - plan# 2261197ft60m
Zetland Street: No 24207ft63m
Queen Street: Crown Court (1825)220ft67m
Zetland Street: No 20228ft69m
Queensgate: No 37234ft71m
Ramsden Street: New Lavatory and W.C. (1890) - plan# 2086238ft73m
corner of Queen Street & Cross Queen Street: Wooden Shed (1881) - plan# 1034238ft73m
Queen Street: Shop and Offices (1878) - plan# 644238ft73m
Queen Street / Victoria Street: Warehouse (1875) - plan# 439256ft78m
Queens Street & Ramsden Street: New Baths (1879) - plan# 703264ft80m
Queensgate: No 41270ft82m
Queensgate: No 45270ft82m
Queensgate: No 43270ft82m
Back Ramsden Street / Queen Street South: New Store Shed (Brick) (1890) - plan# 2004293ft89m
Ramsden Street: Addition of Stained Glass and iron Veranda to the Theater Royal (1888) - plan# 1839302ft92m
Queen Street South: Caretakers House (1896) - plan# 2494309ft94m
Back Ramsden Street: New Stable (Wood and Slate) (1888) - plan# 1857309ft94m
Queen Street: No 16 and 18312ft95m
Queensgate / Bradley Street: No 46317ft97m

Comments