Firth Street: Larchfield Mill

Details

Deposited Plan Number:no data
Date:1865 - 66
Plans Register:no data
Street:Firth Street
Property Name / Number:Larchfield Mill (now University of Huddersfield, Canalside East Building)
Area:Aspley, University Campus
District:Kirklees
Town:Huddersfield
Grid Reference:SE1482616170
Building Project:Larchfield Mill
Type:Industrial
Applicant:George Brook [built for]
Applicant Address:no data
Architect:Allen Tod [prepared designes for conversion of the building for the university]
Architect Address:no data
Status of Project:no data
Contractor:no data
Contractor Address:no data
Work Commenced:1865
Work Completed:1866
Occupants:University of Huddersfield
Subsequent Alterations / History:Existing, additions made in 1880s & 20th C, Converted into university Canalside East Building, Grade II Listed (22 November 1991)
English Heritage Listing:1226517 — listed on 22 November 1991 (old ID: 423836)
Location of Archives:no data
Buildings of Huddersfield ID:4024

Additional Information

Spinning mill with attached weaving sheds. Built 1865-6 for George Brook, additions c1880 plus C20 alterations. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Mill building has double ridge hipped roofs with dentilated eaves. 5 storey, 4 windows wide and 16 windows in length. Ground and first floor windows have segment heads. All windows have rough stone cills and lintels. Some original windows survive on the floor on the south side, and on the first and second floors on the north side. The south front has a stair tower, with a taking-in door on each floor on the east front. The tower has been extended upwards by a single floor. Weaving sheds, to the south east, linked to the mill by a single storey addition and a 2 storey bridge to an elevator tower. 2 storey over a basement. 9 gables with coping, the roofs stone slate to the west and glazed to the east. North front has 35 windows with rock faced cills and lintels. Narrow east front has single central taking-in doors to each floor, the first floor one partly filled by a window. South, street front has 4 windows per gable all with flush ashlar lintels and raised ashlar cills. The second gable has a single large doorway with double panel doors with raised ashlar surround and moulded hood. The fifth and final gable has taking-in doors to each floor.

[Extract from the Historic England web site, list entry number 1226517]

Location

Online maps: National Library of Scotland Historic Maps | Old Maps UK | Google | Google Street View | Bing
The red marker indicates the location of this record. Green and yellow dots are locations of other geotagged records, where yellow means the building was subsequently demolished.

Comments