Firth Street: Firth Street Mill

Details

Deposited Plan Number:no data
Date:1865 - 66
Plans Register:no data
Street:Firth Street
Property Name / Number:Firth Street Mill (now University of Huddersfield, Canalside West Building)
Area:Aspley, University Campus
District:Kirklees
Town:Huddersfield
Grid Reference:SE1474616080
Building Project:Firth Street Mill
Type:Industrial
Applicant:Benjamin Lockwood [built for]
Applicant Address:no data
Architect:no data
Architect Address:no data
Status of Project:no data
Contractor:no data
Contractor Address:no data
Work Commenced:1865
Work Completed:1866
Occupants:University of Huddersfield
Subsequent Alterations / History:Existing, Additions 1886, 20th C large pane casements, Converted into University Canalside West Building, Grade II Listed (22 November 1991)
English Heritage Listing:1226503 — listed on 22 November 1991 (old ID: 423827)
Location of Archives:no data
Buildings of Huddersfield ID:4025

Additional Information

Spinning mill with attached engine house, coal store, boiler house and chimney, plus added weaving sheds. Built 1865-6 for Benjamin Lockwood with additions 1886 for Rueben Hurst. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Mill building has double ridge hipped roofs with dentilated eaves. 6 storey. 4 windows wide and 21 windows in length, all with flush ashlar cills and lintels, plus C20 large pane casements. The south front has a stair tower with a single window and a single taking-in door to each floor, plus taking-in doors to each floor of the eastern most bay. Engine house, to east, has a hipped roof and dentilated eaves. The north front has a pair of tall round headed windows with moulded ashlar surrounds and keystones. Coal store, to east, has a single blocked doorway with flush ashlar shouldered lintel, to the canalside. Boiler house, to south, with ashlar coped gable. 3 storey. South front has blocked cart entrance, with 2 blocked windows above, and 2 farther windows above again. Weaving sheds, to south west of the mill, single storey with 7 coped gables along the south wall, and a cart entry with plank doors below the sixth gable. Office block to east converted c1960 from the former time office and cottage. Beyond to the east the main gates, with a pair of rusticated square gate piers with pyramidal caps, and iron gates. Chimney stack, to east, very tall hexagonal, tapering stone stack, with decorated upper stage, and moulded cornice at top.

[Extract from the Historic England web site, list entry number 1226503]

See also record for Plan No 165 (single story weaving shed).

Location

Online maps: National Library of Scotland Historic Maps | Old Maps UK | Google | Google Street View | Bing
The red marker indicates the location of this record. Green and yellow dots are locations of other geotagged records, where yellow means the building was subsequently demolished.

What's Nearby?

The following records are located within 100 meters:
RecordDistance (feet & meters)
Firth Street: Two Cottages and Workshop (1869) - plan# 25180ft55m

Comments