Princess Alexandra Walk (formerly Ramsden Street): New Library
|Deposited Plan Number:||no data|
|Plans Register:||no data|
|Street:||Princess Alexandra Walk (formerly Ramsden Street)|
|Property Name / Number:||Huddersfield Library & Art Gallery|
|Area:||Town Centre, HD1 2SU|
|Building Project:||New Library|
|Architect Address:||no data|
|Status of Project:||no data|
|Contractor Address:||no data|
|Subsequent Alterations / History:||Existing, Grade II Listed (4 August 2005)|
|English Heritage Listing:||1391504 — listed on 4 August 2005 (old ID: 490656)|
|Location of Archives:||no data|
|Buildings of Huddersfield ID:||4061|
Library and Art Gallery built in 1937, designed by E. H. Ashburner, steel framed and faced with local pink stone. The plan form is square with a central atrium containing the main staircase through three storeys plus basement. Main entrance facade has protruding central section with central entrance doorway with ogee-curved consoles supporting a cornice, flanked by two tall metal-framed rectangular windows with slightly recessed architraves, plus five at first floor level with cornice above. Decorative panel above cornice. Three windows on each side on ground and first floors. Second floor has no external windows. Bas-relief frieze in classical style between ground and first floor windows on either side. Windows continue in same style throughout, including basement windows to sides. Two free-standing statues in classical style with modernist influence flanking entrance steps, representing Spirits of Literature and Art, by James Woodford. Right return has similar facade with a projecting centre of 8 windows, those on the ground floor have moulded stone surrounds and hood moulds, the 8 windows above have flush surrounds.
INTERIOR: Entrance hall with original coffered ceiling and lights, marble lined. Fine Imperial staircase to all floors with brass handrail. Floor paved with chequer design (hidden by carpet). Landing walls panelled in wood veneer, landing floor with original cork tiles. Meeting room also fully panelled in wood veneer with original doors and fittings. Some original bookcases in library and original doors throughout. Built 1937, opened as a library and art gallery in 1940, still in original use.
Sources: Twentieth Century Society.
[Extract from the Historic England web site, list entry number 1391504]