Queen Street: Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Details

Deposited Plan Number:no data
Date:1819
Plans Register:no data
Street:Queen Street
Property Name / Number:Lawrence Batley Theatre (Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel)
Area:Town Centre, HD1 2SP
District:Kirklees
Town:Huddersfield
Grid Reference:SE1462616536
Building Project:Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Type:Church / Public
Applicant:no data
Applicant Address:no data
Architect:Charles Watson [of Watson & Pritchett]
Architect Address:Blossom Street, York
Status of Project:no data
Contractor:Joseph Kaye
Contractor Address:Buxton Road, Huddersfield
Work Commenced:no data
Work Completed:no data
Occupants:no data
Subsequent Alterations / History:Existing, Converted into the Lawrence Batley Theatre in 1995, Grade II* Listed (11 June 1975)
English Heritage Listing:1231218 — listed on 11 June 1975 (old ID: 406294)
Location of Archives:no data
Buildings of Huddersfield ID:3886

Additional Information

1819. Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. Ashlar. Pitched slate roof. 2 storeys.

6 ranges of sashes with marginal glazing bars, those on 1st floor round-arched and set in concentric recessed panels row of blind oblong panels at mezzanine level. Central 1st floor Venetian window, with blind balustrade (vase-shaped balusters), Ionic columns, dentilled transom and fanlight, in tetrastyle Roman

Doric porch. Blind parapet with moulded cornice and pediment over central

5 bays, with oval oculis in tympanum. Flanking bays of one window range each,

1st floor windows as others, and doors with fielded panels, fanlights, moulded surrounds and segmental pediments. Plaque inscribed "The Wesleyan Chapel

MDCCCXIX".

Queen's Square paved with stone flags. Dwarf wall in front with cast iron railings which have both spear and vase finials. 3 pairs of gate piers with panelled sides, moulded tops, and fluted urn finials.

Interior. Some good neo-classical monuments; especially that to George Wilson

(died 1837), signed by Walsh and Dunbar of Leeds, and those to the Rev Mark

Day (died 1823), Timothy Bentley of Lockwood (died 1830), and Mary Carr (died

1832), all signed by W Williams.

(Extract from English Heritage listed buildings service, record number 406294) http://lbonline.english-heritage.org.uk/BuildingDetailsForm.aspx?id=406294&search=y

Converted into the Lawrence Batley Theatre in 1995 to designe by Kirklees Metropolitan Council architects department.

Location

Online maps: National Library of Scotland Historic Maps | Old Maps UK | Google | Google Street View | Bing
The red marker indicates the location of this record. Green and yellow dots are locations of other geotagged records, where yellow means the building was subsequently demolished.

What's Nearby?

The following records are located within 100 meters:
RecordDistance (feet & meters)
Queen Street: No 12 and 1453ft16m
Queen Street: No 16 and 1864ft20m
Wormald's Yard, off King Street: No 7 and 884ft26m
Queen Street: No 6 - 1099ft30m
Queen Street & Victoria Lane: Alterations and Additions to warehouse (1882) - plan# 1038100ft30m
Wormald's Yard, off King Street: No 6100ft31m
Wormald's Yard, off King Street: No 5118ft36m
Queen Street: No 2 and 4122ft37m
Goldthorpes Yard, off King Street: No 2 and 3132ft40m
Queen Street: New Offices (inc demolition of old buildings) (1875) - plan# 475140ft43m
Wormald's Yard, off Kings Gate: No 3144ft44m
Wormald's Yard, off King Street: No 2154ft47m
Queen Street: Crown Court (1825)157ft48m
Goldthorpes Yard, off King Street: No 1 and 1A158ft48m
Wormald's Yard, off King Street: No 1167ft51m
Queen Street / Victoria Street: Warehouse (1875) - plan# 439191ft58m
Queen Street: No 20195ft59m
Hammond's Yard, off King Street: No 1 - 4196ft60m
Ramsden Street: New Shed for Storing Arms and Equipment (1893) - plan# 2261209ft64m
King Street: No 46209ft64m
Zetland Street: Alterations to Premises New shop front (1875) - plan# 457214ft65m
Victoria Street: Additions to Warehouse (3 Shops) (1883) - plan# 1178218ft66m
Queen Street: No 22221ft68m
Zetland Street: No 20240ft73m
Queen Street: No 28241ft73m
Queen Street: No 24241ft73m
Victoria Lane: Allterations to Smoking Room (1891) - plan# 2116246ft75m
Queen Street: No 26261ft79m
Zetland Street: No 24265ft81m
Cross Church Street: No 42273ft83m
Victoria Street: Alterations to Bull and Mouth Hotel (1882) - plan# 1122275ft84m
King Street & Zetland Street: Wooden Building (photographic studio) (1882) - plan# 1133286ft87m
King Street & Zetland Street: Waiting Room to Photographic Studio (1883) - plan# 1171286ft87m
King Street: Additions to Photographic Studio (1884) - plan# 1360286ft87m
corner of Queen Street & Cross Queen Street: Wooden Shed (1881) - plan# 1034294ft90m
Queen Street: Shop and Offices (1878) - plan# 644294ft90m
King Street & Zetland Street: Five New Shops (1900) - plan# 902296ft90m
King Street: Market Hall (1880)301ft92m
Dobson's Yard, Cross Church Street: Enlargement of Shop (1878) - plan# 701304ft93m
Dobson's Yard, Cross Church Street: Reconversion of Stabling into 3 Cottages (1902) - plan# 1278304ft93m
Dobson's Yard, Cross Church Street: Conversion of cottages into stabling (1892) - plan# 2221304ft93m
Victoria Street: Alterations to Brunswick Arms (1882) - plan# 1079305ft93m
Queen Street: No 30308ft94m
Cross Church Street: No 31310ft95m
Victoria Lane: 2 Kitchens, Ice House, Cart Shed and 3 W.Cs (1891) - plan# 2133319ft97m
Ramsden Street: Addition of Stained Glass and iron Veranda to the Theater Royal (1888) - plan# 1839320ft97m
Queen Street: No 32328ft100m