Deposited Plan No. 637
Victoria Lane & King Street: Five Shops and Offices
|Deposited Plan Number:||637|
|Date:||10 March 1878|
|Street:||Victoria Lane & King Street|
|Property Name / Number:||no data|
|Grid Reference:||SE 1451 1658|
|Building Project:||Five Shops and Offices|
|Type:||Retail & Commercial - new build|
|Applicant Address:||no data|
|Architect Address:||no data|
|Status of Project:|
|Contractor Address:||no data|
|Work Commenced:||no data|
|Work Completed:||no data|
|Subsequent Alterations / History:||Demolished. Doorway remains (see below).|
|English Heritage Listing:||no data|
|Location of Archives:||Kirklees West Yorkshire Archives|
|Buildings of Huddersfield ID:||639|
There are two sets of plans covering this development; the first, which does not contain a Building Notice is inscribed 'CANCELLED'. The second set of plans 673 [b] are similar, but show grates lighting the basement and include the use of the names 'Market Chambers' and 'Market Buildings'.
This plot has a long frontage to Victoria Lane, facing the site of the newly erected Market Hall, presumably encouraging this development; the elevation to King Street is narrow. [King Street was the main street; this plot reflects its origins.] The scheme for the Market Chambers is for a three storey building over a basement. The basement is to be used for storage whilst there are five shops on the ground floor. An entrance in the centre of the Victoria Lane elevation provide access to the office accommodation on the first and second floors.
The two corner shop units at the King Street end of the site, which later housed Timothy Whites & Taylors, were later re-developed and occupied by Boots until they moved into the new building on the site of the old Market Hall. The entrance to the upper floors of offices survives along with the carved name stone 'Devonshire Chambers'. The three shops beyond now form part of Marks & Spencer's loading bay.