Deposited Plan No. 277
New Street: Rebuilding of the "Boot and Shoe Inn"
|Deposited Plan Number:||277|
|Date:||4 July 1898|
|Property Name / Number:||Boot & Shoe Inn|
|Building Project:||Rebuilding of the "Boot and Shoe Inn"|
|Type:||Licensed Premises / Inn|
|Applicant:||Bentley & Shaw Ltd.|
|Applicant Address:||no data|
|Architect:||Ben Stocks (Architect)|
|Architect Address:||St. Peter's Street, Huddersfield|
|Status of Project:|
Approved (4 July 1898)
|Contractor:||Abraham Graham & Sons [Thomas May, mason of Hillhouse, worked on the alterations]|
|Contractor Address:||Longroyd Bridge|
|Work Commenced:||July 1899|
|Subsequent Alterations / History:||Existing, Later developed as retail premises (currently KFC restaurant as of 2011)|
|English Heritage Listing:||no data|
|Location of Archives:||Kirklees West Yorkshire Archives|
|Buildings of Huddersfield ID:||277|
The Boot & Shoe was one of a number of licensed premises which the Ramsden Estate sold at auction. The Boot & Shoe was acquired by Bentley & Shaw on the understanding that it would be partly re-built within three years. See entries for The Fleece, Kirkgate and Venn Street. The re-building of the Boot & Shoe not only provided improved accommodation, but completed the unification of the main elevation to New Street in line with adjoining properties, which seems also to have been the work of Ben Stocks. The slightly awkward classical elements unite the range of buildings with the buildings of John William Street, and make the block appear to have been built at one time, mirroring the New or Brick Buildings on the other side of the street, which date from 1780.
The elongated site of the hotel falls away from the higher ground of New Street to Market Walk. Stocks makes full use of this providing a delivery entrance to the service areas at the rear of the premises. The principal public entrance is on New Street. The carved lettering is still to be seen above the fascia of Kentucky Fried Chicken. A bar occupies the basement and is accessed by stairs from New Street. This was previously known as the Shoehorn Bar. (Stone external, brick internal with Ashlor front)
Plans deposited (5 sheets)
- Block Plan
- Floor Plans
- Drainage Plan (revised)
- Section, Second floor Plan & Elevation.
- Front & Side Elevation.
Foundations inspected: 28 April 1899, 1 September 1899 & 29 December 1899
Damp Course Inspected: 2 May 1899 & 11 September 1899
Drainage inspected: 16 documents various dates between May 1899 & November 1900
At the Same Location?
|Record||Distance (feet & meters)|
|New Street: Rebuilding of the "Boot and Shoe Inn" (1898) - plan# [277)||0ft||0m|
|New Street: New Facade to Shop (1898) - plan# 324||27ft||8m|
|New Street: No 1 - 11||27ft||8m|