Market Place: No 27 (Williams' and Glynn's Bank)

Details

Deposited Plan Number:no data
Date:Probably around 1860
Plans Register:no data
Street:Market Place
Property Name / Number:27 (now the Royal Bank of Scotland)
Area:Town Centre, HD1 2AD
District:Kirklees
Town:Huddersfield
Grid Reference:SE1450616668
Building Project:No 27 (Williams' and Glynn's Bank)
Type:Bank
Applicant:no data
Applicant Address:no data
Architect:William Cocking
Architect Address:Huddersfield
Status of Project:no data
Contractor:no data
Contractor Address:no data
Work Commenced:no data
Work Completed:no data
Occupants:no data
Subsequent Alterations / History:Existing, Grade II Listed (29 September 1978)
English Heritage Listing:1313531 — listed on 29 September 1978 (old ID: 340225)
Location of Archives:no data
Buildings of Huddersfield ID:3804

Additional Information

Mid C19. Ashlar. 3 storeys. Modillioned and dentilled eaves cornice and parapet with panelled piers. Continuous moulded cill band to 2nd floor. Fluted

Composite pilastrade to ground floor and full entablature with foliage carving in frieze. 5 ranges of sashes. Ground floor windows round-arched with masks on keystones, polished marble columns in jambs, carved foliage spandrels and carved foliage panels below each one. 1st floor windows are segment-headed, have panelled pilasters, carved spandrels, and alternating triangular and segmental pediments. 2nd floor windows have moulded consoles to cills, festoons on either side of frame and rounded corners at top. Sunk panels set in between. Porch with panelled double doors, surrounded by carved foliage panels, round-headed side windows with moulded surrounds, moulded cornice and ornate cresting.

Attached to the east end of No 27, just under the arch leading to Market Walk, is part of shopwindow belonging to Messrs Fillans of No 2 Market Walk. Late

C19. Curved glass panels in moulded wooden frames. Painted glass panels above and beside windows, with characteristic late C19 lettering.

(Extract from English Heritage listed buildings service, record number 340225) http://lbonline.english-heritage.org.uk/BuildingDetailsForm.aspx?id=340225&search=y

Location

Online maps: National Library of Scotland Historic Maps | Old Maps UK | Google | Google Street View | Bing
The red marker indicates the location of this record. Green and yellow dots are locations of other geotagged records, where yellow means the building was subsequently demolished.

What's Nearby?

The following records are located within 100 meters:
RecordDistance (feet & meters)
New Street: New Facade to Shop (1898) - plan# 32493ft28m
New Street: No 1 - 1193ft28m
Market Place: Market Cross (1671)103ft31m
New Street: Rebuilding of the "Boot and Shoe Inn" (1898) - plan# 277 118ft36m
New Street: Rebuilding of the "Boot and Shoe Inn" (1898) - plan# [277)118ft36m
King Street: No 13142ft43m
King Street: No 5 and 7144ft44m
New Street: No 13154ft47m
New Street: New Bank Buildings (1870) - plan# 123156ft47m
Kirkgate: New shop front (1886) - plan# 1567 161ft49m
Kirkgate: New shop front (1887) - plan# 1603161ft49m
Kirkgate & Market Place: Alterations to shop (1884) - plan# 1296161ft49m
Kirkgate: No 4161ft49m
New Street: No 2 - 14 (1770)161ft49m
Market Place: No 7 and 9162ft49m
Battye's Yard: Re building warehouse (1884) - plan# 1342172ft53m
Market Place: Jubilee Memorial Fountain (1887) - plan# 1701178ft54m
Kirkgate: No 6180ft55m
Kirkgate: No 10 and 12187ft57m
Kirkgate: No 8192ft58m
Market Place: No 4 and 6197ft60m
Kirkgate: Public House202ft61m
Chancery Lane: No 14205ft62m
Westgate / New Street: West Yorkshire Bank Building (1912)227ft69m
King Street: No 4229ft70m
Cross Church Street: No 11243ft74m
Cross Church Street: No 19250ft76m
Cross Church Street: No 9253ft77m
Chancery Lane: No 5 - 9258ft78m
Cross Church Street: No 7259ft79m
off King Street (back of Mr Stead's Shop): Warehouse (1880) - plan# 795260ft79m
Chancery Lane: No 13265ft81m
Cross Church Street: No 23267ft82m
Cross Church Street: No 25274ft84m
New Street / Cloth Hall Street: Addition of new Managers office and W.C.s to Bank (1898) - plan# 168278ft85m
Lockwood's Yard: Warehouse, Stables, etc (1883) - plan# 1219278ft85m
Lockwood's Yard: New Entrance to the "Farmer's Boy Inn" (1880) - plan# 829278ft85m
Lockwood's Yard: Alterations to the "Farmer's Boy Inn" (1883) - plan# 1201278ft85m
Cross Church Street: No 27279ft85m
King Street: Market Hall (1880)285ft87m
Westgate: Westgate House (1923)288ft88m
Victoria Lane & King Street: Five Shops and Offices (1878) - plan# 637289ft88m
Cross Church Street: No 29293ft89m
Brooks Yard: Premises of F McShane Limited305ft93m
Cross Church Street: No 31313ft95m
Lockwood's Yard, off Victoria Lane: New Shop (Tobaconist) (1880) - plan# 844316ft96m
Lockwood's Yard, off Victoria Lane: Office and Shop (1880) - plan# 800316ft96m
Lockwood's Yard, off Victoria Lane: New Shed (1881) - plan# 924316ft96m
New Street: No 29 - 35318ft97m
Cross Church Street: No 24322ft98m