Deposited Plan No. 1090

Quay Street: Additions to Mill


Deposited Plan Number:1090
Date:17 May 1882
Plans Register:1869-1886
Street:Quay Street
Property Name / Number:Turnbridge Cotton Mills
District:Central Ward
Grid Reference:SE 1489 1685
Building Project:Additions to Mill
Type:Industrial - additions & alterations
Applicant:R. & W. Hirst
Applicant Address:Turnbride Cotton MIlls, Quay Street, Huddersfield
Architect:James Heron (Architect & Surveyor)
Architect Address:No 2, New Street, Huddersfield
Status of Project:
Approved, subject to the doorway ro the ashes place being built up to the height of 3 feet.
Contractor:no data
Contractor Address:no data
Work Commenced:no data
Work Completed:no data
Occupants:no data
Subsequent Alterations / History:Mill Buildings still Existing.
English Heritage Listing:no data
Location of Archives:Kirklees West Yorkshire Archives
Buildings of Huddersfield ID:1091

Additional Information

The plans relate to a two storey extension to existing mill buildings providing additional accommodation for R. & W. Hirst cotton manufacturers. The plans also provide for the building of a block of eight privies and a urinal in the mill yard. Tunbridge Mills survive, though may alterations have subsequently taken place. Alan Brooke's Catalogue of Textile Mills & Factories includes references to Turnbridge Mill (no. 328) and the Hirst's business, noting various fires, bankruptcies and sales.

Plans deposited (2 sheets)

  1. Ground, First & Roof Plans
  2. Block Plan + Section & plan of out buildings

Approximate Location

Online maps: National Library of Scotland Historic Maps | Old Maps UK | Google | Google Street View | Bing
The red marker indicates the approximate location of this record. Green and yellow dots are locations of other geotagged records, where yellow means the building was subsequently demolished.

At the Same Location?

The following records are located within 10 meters:
RecordDistance (feet & meters)
Quay Street: New Office (stone and slate) (1889) - plan# 192433ft10m

What's Nearby?

The following records are located within 100 meters:
RecordDistance (feet & meters)
Quay Street: Mill, Engine House, Boiler House, Warehouse and Scatering Room. (1871) - plan# 17098ft30m
Quay Street: Ten Dwelling Houses (1887) - plan# 1609131ft40m
Quay Street: Long Chimney and Boiler House (1877) - plan# 595131ft40m
Lowerhead Row: Additions to Stable (1879) - plan# 733177ft54m
Lowerhead Row: New Saw Mill (1875) - plan# 419191ft58m
Lowerhead Row: Alteration to Side of Offices (1875) - plan# 465191ft58m
Quay Street: Addition of New Yarn Store to Turnbridge Mills (Textile) (1900) - plan# 778204ft62m
Quay Street: Turnbridge Mill (1846)204ft62m
Turnbridge Road / Quay Street: Lifting Bridge (1865)207ft63m
Lowerhead Row: New Sunday School (1899) - plan# 605210ft64m
Lowerhead Row: New Warehouse and Shed (1885) - plan# 1439229ft70m
Quay Street: New Teasing Rooms and Warehouse (1891) - plan# 2173232ft71m
Turnbridge: Office (1882) - plan# 1129238ft73m
Quay Street: New Store Rooms (1889) - plan# 1973239ft73m
Quay Street: New Shed (brick piers) (1892) - plan# 2206256ft78m
Turnbridge Road: Warehouse Foundry and Boiler House (1871) - plan# 183280ft85m
Turnbridge Road: Tool house and Workshop (1884) - plan# 1330293ft89m
Turnbridge Road: Addition of new block to Turnbridge Machine Works (stone and blue slate construction) (1886) - plan# 1580294ft90m
St. Andrew's Road: Weigh House and Time Offices + Laboratory (1882) - plan# 1135296ft90m
Quay Street: New Offices (1895) - plan# 2428323ft98m
Turnbridge Road: Addition of 4 W.Cs to Hoist Building (1890) - plan# 2017327ft100m