Turnbridge Road / Quay Street: Lifting Bridge

Details

Deposited Plan Number:no data
Date:1865
Plans Register:no data
Street:Turnbridge Road / Quay Street
Property Name / Number:Turnbridge Lifting Bridge (also known as Locomotive lift bridge)
Area:Turnbridge
District:Kirklees
Town:Huddersfield
Grid Reference:SE 1495 1683
Building Project:Lifting Bridge
Type:Bridge
Applicant:no data
Applicant Address:no data
Architect:no data
Architect Address:no data
Status of Project:no data
Contractor:no data
Contractor Address:no data
Work Commenced:no data
Work Completed:no data
Occupants:n/a
Subsequent Alterations / History:Existing, Extensive restoration carried out including the change from manual operation to electric motors in 2002
English Heritage Listing:no data
Location of Archives:no data
Buildings of Huddersfield ID:4048

Additional Information

Lifting bridge crossing the Huddersfield Broad Canal, built in 1865 to replace the earlier turn-bridge that gave its name to the area. It is bridge number 17 on the Huddersfield Broad Canal.

The bridge was originally lifted using a pulley system employing counter weights operated by a windlass but is now electrically powered after it was restored in 2002.

Approximate Location

Online maps: National Library of Scotland Historic Maps | Old Maps UK | Google | Google Street View | Bing
The red marker indicates the approximate location of this record. Green and yellow dots are locations of other geotagged records, where yellow means the building was subsequently demolished.

What's Nearby?

The following records are located within 100 meters:
RecordDistance (feet & meters)
Turnbridge Road: Addition of new block to Turnbridge Machine Works (stone and blue slate construction) (1886) - plan# 1580118ft36m
Quay Street: Mill, Engine House, Boiler House, Warehouse and Scatering Room. (1871) - plan# 170118ft36m
Quay Street: New Shed (brick piers) (1892) - plan# 2206135ft41m
Turnbridge: Office (1882) - plan# 1129135ft41m
St. Andrew's Road: Weigh House and Time Offices + Laboratory (1882) - plan# 1135139ft42m
Quay Street: Turnbridge Mill (1846)160ft49m
Quay Street: Addition of New Yarn Store to Turnbridge Mills (Textile) (1900) - plan# 778160ft49m
Quay Street: New Office (stone and slate) (1889) - plan# 1924176ft54m
Turnbridge Road: Warehouse Foundry and Boiler House (1871) - plan# 183177ft54m
Quay Street: Additions to Mill (1882) - plan# 1090207ft63m
Turnbridge Road: Tool house and Workshop (1884) - plan# 1330207ft63m
Turnbridge: Offices and Store Rooms (1869) - plan# 19220ft67m
Turnbridge Road: Chemical Shed and Chimney (1878) - plan# 660232ft71m
Quay Street: New Teasing Rooms and Warehouse (1891) - plan# 2173232ft71m
Turnbridge Road: Store Room, Time Office and Stable etc. (1883) - plan# 1243236ft72m
Quay Street: New Offices (1895) - plan# 2428238ft73m
Lowerhead Row: Alteration to Side of Offices (1875) - plan# 465250ft76m
Lowerhead Row: New Saw Mill (1875) - plan# 419250ft76m
Lowerhead Row: Additions to Stable (1879) - plan# 733264ft81m
Turnbridge Road: Addition of 4 W.Cs to Hoist Building (1890) - plan# 2017271ft82m
Turnbridge Road: Wood Shed and 4 W.Cs (1888) - plan# 1756280ft85m
Turnbridge Road: Engin House, Sheds, Chimney etc. (1877) - plan# 611282ft86m
Violet Street & St. Andrew's Road: Three Houses and Shop + Privies and Coal Store (1889) - plan# 1953302ft92m
Turnbridge: New Buildings and Long Chimney to Turnbridge Machineworks (1882) - plan# 1082302ft92m
Quay Street: New Store Rooms (1889) - plan# 1973309ft94m

Comments